Tuesday, April 22, 2008

it's the home stretch and i'm worn out.

every time i think my thesis is ready and readable, i send the latest version to my committee chair.

inevitably, the next morning i see one consistent inconsistency in terminology, or an error in a proof or two (which is easily fixed). by the afternoon, on every other page there is something to fix.

the wheel turns once more, for more of the same. i want to say that it's not futile. admittedly, i'm somewhat convinced but not fully so.

i think i'm tired. around east hall, nobody really looks well-rested.

that might be me, though:
my eyes are tired, and that may color my vision.



there is a week and a half before the defense, and i still don't feel that my thesis is really ready. i feel late and behind schedule .. but whose schedule?

maybe i should say that this wasn't how i planned this year to go.

the thing is, i'm not that busy, but i expect to be busy soon. there is the defense and there will be corrections -- lots of them, i fear -- and then there will be conferences -- talks to write and talks to give.

then there are papers to write, after that;
don't i have a nervous breakdown scheduled, at some point?

[re-reads]

i'm pretty sure that i'm joking ..
but again, i'm not fully convinced.



i went to a fine defense yesterday: my friend john gave a good, motivating discussion on what he proved in quasiconformal geometry.

tomorrow i'll attend another friend's defense: diane'll talk about group splittings and geometric group theory.

next week tuesday, my old flatmate josé will talk about cohomology and K-theory.

then it will be my turn.

No comments: