Tuesday, April 01, 2008

almost the end; time for .. a beginning?!?

it always makes me uneasy, when i post this often.

it either means that i've been thinking too much about maths or that i haven't been holding enough conversations with real people in physical reality ... or that i've been spending too many nights in the office:

wireless internet + procrastination + plenty of opinions → blog post.



today i read the printout of my thesis and started making corrections. after a while i was starting to lose patience with it, which is strange ..

.. after all, i wrote it.

but i'm done now .. at least i've done as much as i want to do with it. perhaps the saying is true: one is never finished with a mathematics paper; after a while, one just gives up.

now the supervisor can lose his patience with it. i've sent it off, and now it's time to write an introduction.



i had in mind to take a quasi-day-off from writing of any sort. you see, i don't know how to write an introduction, so i plan to spend a morning or afternoon leafing through the theses of others and seeing how theirs are like.

strange. this seems the way of all things i write, for the first time:
  • i needed to see what a cover letter looked like before i drafted one of my own, for jobs.

  • i needed to realise that my first research statement was awful before i could write a tolerable one, and that happened only after i browsed through the statements of others.

  • i suspect i'll have to do the same, the first time a student will ask me for a letter of recommendation.

perhaps it's also too late for this sort of thing, but i also had in mind to read some literature on how to write mathematics. i know that there's an essay/paper by halmos, but to those of you out there:

can you recommend good reading, about how to write?

5 comments:

Leonid said...

I don't know about good reading on how to write. I don't write that well, anyway.

One way to write an introduction: first, identify (1-3) results in the thesis that you like the most. Second, explain to a friendly algebraist* what these results mean and why you like them. Then write down what you said.

(*) Possibly, an imaginary friendly algebraist.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jasun -

Juha recommended to me Halmos' guide on writing mathematics. I've found it has some useful observations. You might try that for starters.

-Marie

Anonymous said...

ha ha. Serves me right for not reading your entire post carefully. I see you already know about Halmos' paper. =) Let me know if you find something you like better... I'd be interested in reading it.

=)
Marie

janus said...

to L: i haven't read your work in a while, but i always felt that your writing was straightforward, and i liked it.

also, i took the imaginary friendly algebraist route. (:


to M: thanks for the tip anyway.

i am curious, though: do you know if Krantz's survival guide has any good tips for writing?

Leonid said...

Section 4.6 is called "How do I write up my thesis?". There is also 7.1 "Should I publish my thesis?" and 8.4 "Publish of perish". So yes, go and take a look.

The author was kind enough to thank me on page xv on the preface. :)