Thursday, November 26, 2009

random thoughts, while on a research kick.

sometimes i'm without my pens or paper -- say, while on a 10 minute bus ride -- and then a research idea occurs to me. these modern times, however, have their conveniences.

i'd then send a text message to "myself" (that is, my university email) and then i no longer have the responsibility to remember.

for the record, i've missed my stop before, pondering an idea that i was afraid to lose.



for citations, i hate purely numerical indexing. [17] tells me nothing, except to flip to the last page and look at the references.

on the other hand, [HaKi98] gives a year and suggests the authors, at which point i can guess the paper.

this is a trifle, of course, but when you're leafing through 4-5 different papers, several trifles become one medium-sized annoyance.



the older i get, the more i appreciate brief explanations/intuitions in papers, as to clarify theorems and proofs.

when writing a paper, it's easy to over-polish the exposition. such inclinations amount to encrypting what you would like to say, and it means that your readers will only spend more time decrypting what you really meant.

No comments: