Saturday, November 21, 2009

getting older, maybe more "interesting"

in my own career, i never seem to surprise anyone. when i learn something that i believe is new, i learn that it isn't.

then again, my background is spotty. i spend a lot of time learning things that "i should already know" .. [1] as an example, when learning about lower Riccι curvature bounds, i knew that this was something everyone has heard of ..

when i think about it, this reminds me of some dialogue from indιana jones and the last crusadε ..

Professor Henry Jones (Sean Cοnnery): Did I ever tell you to eat up? Go to bed? Wash your ears? Do your homework? No. I respected your privacy and I taught you self-reliance.

Indιana Jones (Harrisοn Ford): What you taught me was that I was less important to you than people who had been dead for five hundred years in another country. And I learned it so well that we've hardly spoken for twenty years.

Professor Henry Jοnes: You left just when you were becoming interesting.

so maybe i am slowly becoming "interesting" .. q-:



[1] .. whatever that means. if you are a young maths researcher, you know what i mean: catchy up to the older guys, learning what is already known but never said out loud.

the more i think about mathematics, the more i see it as a trade. there is passing knowledge, unless you work for a while and get to know others, that you never learn. once you do, you are surprised: everyone knew this, but me!

1 comment:

Phil Harmsworth said...

Terry Tao has some interesting observations on the impact of the internet on mathematics - which includes some ideas about the things the everybody knows, but do not talk about (because 'everybody knows'...): http://terrytao.wordpress.com/2009/08/27/mathematical-research-and-the-internet/