Friday, March 21, 2008

almost there .. almost there ..

every week i feel like i'm almost done with the "math" [1] in my thesis ..

.. and i am. really.

it's not my fault that there's always "one more lemma/theorem." some would even say that it's a good thing, a good problem to have.

but when i say that to myself, i remind myself of "the boy who cried wolf." then i look at a calendar and count the weeks.

then i panick a little, i type a little more furiously, and i use the delete button a little more often.

earlier, i caught myself writing "clearly, it follows that .."
a slippery slope, that!



i do realize that writing is important. it reinforces what i already know and it improves my skill at explaining and presenting my ideas to people who would otherwise never bother with this area of mathematics. sometimes i gain new insights in how my ideas fit together.

but despite this, i miss doing new maths in the mornings.

then again, i'll probably sing a different tune when i start teaching again. \:


[1] meaning everything but the first section (the introduction) and the last section (an appendix, which is also almost done).

No comments: