Monday, October 08, 2007

when will people ever learn?

i think my plan of working away from the office has backfired.

because my time in the department is a rare thing, i think people are more inclined to stop by and talk to me when they see me.

this does not bode well. the point was to consistently disappoint people in a form of negative reinforcement; time and again, they would stop by my office, note my absence, sigh to themselves,

alas, janus is not there! woe is me.
i shall ne'er again call on him at his office.


and develop the habit of never seeking me out. so after a while, nobody would think to look for me, and i could return to the office, unsought and having all this time to work.

at any rate, that was the idea.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As one who has tried this technique, it takes longer than a few weeks -- it will take a term or more of this approach to deter all those who may try to visit.

janus said...

ah. more time than i can commit to!

Saara said...

But isn't that awfully lonely??? I would feel quite desolate if nobody ever came to seek me out. :(

Saara said...

Oh, and to provide you with some data: I never learned during my 4 month visit.

janus said...

oh yes. it can be quite lonesome. then again, you do get some work done.

as for you, S, i never minded. i just felt bad when you'd stop in and i'd never be there. \:

i only mind when algebraic geometers stop in and ask me analysis questions that i can't answer! q: