Wednesday, September 05, 2007

me, the morning misanthrope [from 4 Sept '07]

in the last year, fall and spring terms, some have pointed out to me that i am difficult to find and never in my office. but recently, my bedroom desk is a mess.

saying that is not quite a non-sequitur.
let me explain.



right now, my bedroom is in disarray. my desk is cluttered with moving-apartment debris (like old newspaper), knickknacks, airplane ticket stubs and receipts, and pocket change in a few currencies.

this is no good for the "up-and-at-em" morning mathematician, whom i strive to be. after years of suspicion, i am convinced: mornings are great for getting things done, especially mathematical research things and especially over a cup of coffee or three.

so it doesn't matter that the morning was a dental appointment; seeing such a desk, i'd have biked to the department in hopes of more productive environs and getting a little work done .. well, after visiting the espresso royale first.

but after all, i have an office: personal space, right?
"surely i can work there?"

8am - noon:
i faced queues at the dentist and horrid drilling because of my bad teeth. eventually, they fix what they can, and i slink away, a nonexample to proper dental hygiene.

1-2:30pm:
a postdoc friend peers wisely through the crack between door hinges, spies me at my desk, and asks, "lunch?" [1] and hungrily, i say yes. coffee follows, with another postdoc and a member of my committee. the weather is good, but we complain about it anyway.

3:15-5pm:
fellow student analysts arrive at the office; my officemate betrays my secret, and points behind the door. we are three and we plan an organizational meeting for a student seminar. one asks me what i know about this and that, and i rant without order or purpose for a while.

5-6pm:
there is a welcome back reception, 2nd floor of east hall [2]. i pretend to be a person, and exhibit something resembling normal conversation. apparently i am terrible at remembering female first-year students' names, and when reminded, either suspect incorrectly that they are german or ask strange spelling questions.

7ish-..
i realise i haven't gone to the gym for a while, so i go ..


.. blah blah blah, yakity schmakity:
the rest isn't worth telling.


so i must seize back my effective mathematical mornings, at ANY cost. maybe i am a misanthrope at times, but sometimes one needs peace and quiet to do something on paper that one won't immediately throw away, the next day.

i already miss the caribou coffee, near my former apartment; it was always there if my apartment wasn't quite right for mathematics in the morning, and none of my colleagues were ever there ..

.. well, except for one, when he was visiting for a month. but we ended up talking math then, so it doesn't count.


i've been told that my department is a rare find, that it is social and people actually talk kindly to one another. that's good: i agree, and my colleagues are fine people.

but i hope they are not dismayed if i'm not there, in the mornings.



[1] well, technically his question was longer, but it amounts to the same thing.

[2] i.e. free food and wine. also, there is the phenomenon of cliques, so being social is actually an option.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Non-academic types are often surprised that we (academic types) do not spend all our non-teaching time at the office. "Where do you go anyway?" is a question that is hard to answer honestly. The honest answer would be "some place where you (and others) cannot find me".

Anonymous said...

I concur with Leo. I even had a secretary say that we were supposed to be around the dept. even when not teaching, since the university technically pays us for 8 hour days (for purposes of sick leave, etc). Of course, in the atrium right outside my office door, they added new comfy furniture for students to hang out in and be annoying.

janus said...

[re: leo's comment]

The honest answer would be "some place where you (and others) cannot find me".

weren't you the one who once considered registering for a conference and not attending, so that your department would think you were at the conference, and the conference participants would think you delayed or absent ..

.. and then you could remain where you are, and get some work done? q:


[re: anon's comment]

they added new comfy furniture for students to hang out in and be annoying.

ouch. we've had comfy chairs and cafe tables in the atrium for a while now, but the undergrads still insist on dwelling in the hallways, occasionally asking to borrow staplers.