Wednesday, August 22, 2007

analogy, of a talk.

i heard curtis mcmullen talk today, but an acquaintance of mine overslept and missed it. when he asked me what i thought of it, i said,

  imagine someone showing you artwork, in the form of photographs. imagine also that you are extremely colorblind .. maybe you can only see a few shades of green, and you know for a fact that the photographs are in full color and fine resolution.

looking through the exhibit, sometimes the lighting is dark, and half the shots are during sunset hours, where green is impossible to see. but in the other half of the shots, what you see in green is amazing, brilliant, and insightful.

so you ask yourself: what would these look like, if you could see all the spectrum, if you had sharp eyesight, and if you could appreciate the artistic motifs and cultural references.

imagine how beautiful that could really be ..



that's what mcmullen's talk was like, i told him.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

AFAIR he calculated the second (and third) derivatives of Hausdorff dimension of Julia sets with respect to a parameter. Also made some remarks on the dynamics of Blaschke products. Overall, it was a very good talk, and it's not the speaker's fault that I slept through a part of it.

Unknown said...

Now there is "1 kommentti" to "lähettänyt janus klo". :) At least blogger.com has not translated your post into Finnish.

janus said...

no translation yet, though its presence would be impressive!

apparently jani found my blog, so he tells me. but he didn't say which one!

Saara said...

I love your analogy. Especially the vividly green pictures, they are breathtaking. Thanks!

You know I find it extremely disorientating to see all the notifications in Finnish all the time. Especially when it says janus sanoi... (= janus said...) and then your comment comes in English.

Jani also told me that he found my blog. And I know which one since I only have one. So I would deduce that if he found mine he'd have found this one as well so unless he'd found several of yours I'd say it was this one.

janus said...

that's the thing, Saara. what Jani mentioned was on the other blog.

Saara said...

Ooohhh!

So can we deduce that Jani didn't read my blog very carefully since he didn't find your other blog (I mean this one, not the other)? :)