Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Telepathy! (that is, they read my mind)

I received this forward from my department. Talking with others, one suspects that this is a common feeling .. but this common? I didn't realize it had a proper terminology! This better not be in D$M-IV .. \:

Either the world is crazy, or that a sub-world is crazy and we are slowly accepting it .. q:



From: [NAME/EMAIL ADDRESS OMITTED]
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 9:53 AM
To: [NAME/EMAIL ADDRESS OMITTED]
Subject: First Year Grad Students: THE IMP0STER $YNDR0ME

First Year Graduate Students, have you ever had these thoughts?

What am I doing here? I am not smart enough to be in graduate school. Admissions must have made a mistake!

If so, you are definitely not alone. Your feelings are part of a common phenomenon that many graduate students experience over the course of their careers.....

THE IMP0STER $YNDR0ME

The Imp0ster $yndr0me may be undermining your success by making you feel as if you don't belong in graduate school or don't have the capability to do well. DON'T LET THIS BE THE CASE! Develop strategies to deal with your feelings of insecurity, fear and uncertainty.

Join us for ...
CONFRONTING THE IMP0STER $YNDR0ME

with [NAME OMITTED], a C09nitive Behavi0ral Therapist from the U of M Psych01ogical Clinic on Thursday, November 10th from 12-2pm in Rackham's Assembly Hall ..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

To this day, I am waiting to be arrested for impersonating a mathematician. The part that worries me is that I do not know what the penalty is. I mean, probation wouldn't be so bad, but I just could not make it in the slammer.

janus said...

Well, impersonating a mathematician isn't so grave as, say, impersonating a trauma surgeon or even identity theft.

Rather, I believ this "imposter syndrome" is more a concern of qualifications than mistaken identity.

At any rate, I like to think that if in fact I'm an underqualified person then as long as I make it out alive, it's the University's problem, not mine. q:

fragments of angry candy said...

I actually went to this seminar last year. Tara sent out an e-mail, maybe only to first-years, maybe it was the lack of fonts and color that let it slip under other people's radar.

It was OK, we got interesting handouts; I might still have some copies. It was nice to know the feeling is common. However, I've found that Rackham things don't feel as applicable as math department things.

But I really think the title's perfect, and pinpoints how I often feel. Actually, I feel it less so now than then, so maybe the seminar helped some, or maybe time does.