Monday, December 03, 2012

quotable: not a 'can say,' but "can do" attitude.

from "the second test" @randsinrepose:
I am not suggesting that the hardworking people in these other disciplines don’t have amazingly complex and difficult jobs, but I do think they should be able to clearly describe the work they do and the value they provide… to anyone. They need to pass the Second Test, and that means being able to fully and clearly explain your job to the rest of your team not with words, but with action.

Most folks believe that if they can describe a job that they can do it. Most folks are wrong. I’ve been spun and burned by too many fast-talking, charismatic experts in my career to trust anything but results. The Second Test is not the exclusive domain of engineers. In most groups of people, there is a means by which you earn your stripes. The difference with engineers is a combination of their low tolerance for spin and their deep desire for measurability.
.. and in a similar vein, from "surely you're joking, mr. feynman!"
All the time you're saying to yourself, 'I could do that, but I won't,'--which is just another way of saying that you can't.

No comments: