Tuesday, May 06, 2008

dumb day.

today has been a "feeling stupid" sort of day.
  1. this morning i spent more time (than i'd like to admit) computing a few basic derivatives that you might see in Calculus I.

    at the time i couldn't see why a particular function was 1-Lipschitz and i didn't like the reason that a book told me. i still don't like the reason, but i see why it's true.

    it took a few times to get that computation right, though. i suppose that say something about how long it's been, since last i taught calculus.

  2. i asked the supervisor a dumb question today. it was dumb because i couldn't remember a line of argument he told me yesterday, and i couldn't figure it out for myself.

    it was one of those "once you write it down" sort of arguments. i might often underplay my skills at maths, but trust me on this one: i was being dense.
oh well.

i now see how to fix things, and i see them well enough that i can LaTeX. that's the important thing, anyway.

No comments: