Wednesday, February 20, 2008

mishap.

argh. argggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

i am an idiot,
a stubborn idiot.

this is the second time in a row that i've missed an important telephone call

  1. because i wasn't in the office,
  2. because my cell phone was on silent-mode.

i blame the american red cross. i blame them and environment: michigan.

they are good causes, but they will NOT stop calling me.

i even gave blood two weeks ago and still the red cross calls me yesterday, reminding me about the "Big Ten Blood Battle" and about how important it is to give blood anyway.

besides, who gives blood just so that their school can beat a rival school?!?!?!?

today environment: michigan calls me twice and the second time i told them in no uncertain terms to get me off their telephone list.

spam me, fine: just don't call me when i'm working. i was angry enough to set my cell phone to silent mode and bury it in my backpack ..

.. and later, when i heard a buzzing noise, i looked at caller ("Unknown / no number available") and seething, reburied it. those d@mned do-gooder telemarketers, i thought, while debating the merits of which metric to choose.

an hour ago, i remembered my phone (to charge it) and realised: wait. that area code looks familiar ..

oh. um: cr@p.
of all the calls, i missed his call?!?


i'll have to call them back tomorrow.
it's good news, but ..

..why does this have to happen to me?
from now on, my phone will never be on silent-mode!

2 comments:

Leonid said...

In any case, you can't take calls when you are teaching (although it would be interesting to see the students' reaction :). I think everybody, including your caller, realizes that academic people spend a part of their day being out of phone reach.

janus said...

when you are teaching (although it would be interesting to see the students' reaction :)

i saw it happen once. i think i was too stunned to say anything.

you're right, of course; i guess i was worrying because .. well, i'm just used to being worried about something, all the time.

on a related note, today i spread a rumor.