Sunday, December 23, 2007

time's up: now, the holidays.

something's not quite right with a recent proof i had in mind. there's a gap in the argument and i can't seem to patch it. i still believe that the result is true .. just not quite a proof yet.

tomorrow's a trip home to see my parents. i decided on three days off, which isn't much anyway because day one is for travelling. tomorrow is:

8:30am airport shuttle,
10:00am flight,
.. then noon,

and life begins again:
lunch and family,
but not mathematics.

day three is christmas tuesday. i'm not religious and my family's not religious.. but somehow it's christmas. you shouldn't do math on christmas, should you?

at least not on christmas morning?
even if you don't have any presents?

..at least, i don't think i'll have any presents..

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Math and presents mentioned together reminded me of this:
http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=416

I'm not going anywhere for Christmas. However, today I spent ~30 min on Google "Street Views", revisiting the streets of Pittsburgh (mostly the Oakland area). Just like the real thing, without the hassles of traveling. :)

Leonid

janus said...

Just like the real thing, without the hassles of traveling. :)

unless you can smell indian food or the faint sour smell of french fry oil (near the O) or the smell of musty old books from the Carnegie Library, i disagree. it's not quite like the real thing at all!

Unknown said...

I guess I am more visual than olfactory. Which reminds me of the theory of learning styles: visual, auditory, kinesthetic... I don't know if there is an olfactory learning style. I hope not. It's hard enough to teach calculus to kinesthetic learners. :/