Tuesday, May 02, 2006

are we mathematicians or social butterflies?

this past saturday i missed a valedictory cocktail party (for a friend who leaves the department). tonight is also an excursion, if only because another friend pass his/her/its orals today.

more social events arrive: this is all text from various emails. with a little luck, i've omitted enough so that persons remain anonymous.

friday afternoon jaunt: This Friday come help (omit) celebrate the completion of his oral exams by going to Dominic's [1] with us (around 4 or 5pm, most of yall will see (omit) before I do...)

friday night (potluck) dinner party: The despedida is for (omit) who's leaving for (omit). Other people are leaving whom I'll also miss!! You can come, say the send-off is for you as well, eat my food and in so doing, cheer me up. / So 7:30pm this Friday, Filipino food and further festivity at (omit)

saturday night party: The last QR exam is on May 6th, so I figure that I ought to have a party at my house (omit) then. I don't have many more certain details than that. If the weather looks good, I'll probably plan on starting the party around dinner time, and grilling food in my back yard.

i suppose we humans have this fixation with beginnings and endings, and so compelled, we can only celebrate them.



[1] for those not in the know: dominic's is a fine, outdoor place where one can sip sangria from jar glasses until ten pm or so. by resorting to stereotypes, i've convinced myself that this collection of paradoxes in one place is the outcome of its proximity to the law quad.

No comments: