Friday, August 19, 2005

feeling somewhat like Superman ..

.. in that I, too, may be solar-powered. I don't know what it is about my office in East Hall, but there I seem incapable of developing new thoughts. It is a place better suited for checking details of thoughts that I obtain elsewhere, say at a coffeehouse .. but even that is pushing it.

I was at Amer's Deli just earlier and had a very pleasant time, working out a cohesive path of argument for Lemma 1 of (at least 2). The sun shone through a window on my right and the table, a dull black, was slightly warm to the touch. From the speakers the Amer's staff played the 'Californication' album by the Red Hot Chili Peppers at a reasonable volume: loud enough to catch the catchy beat but not loud enough to dominate one's thoughts.

The whole ambience made for a pleasant time and a motivated work session. It might have helped that I've pondered these mathematical thoughts before, and today I rehashed them and realized how silly I am .. again. With any luck I may have enough results -- rigorous ones, this time -- to discuss with my advisor next week, and still have time to finish my packing and moving into my new apartment.

A guy can dream, right?

I've been sidetracked recently with personal and personable concerns: moving residences, meeting and giving suggestions to the incoming first years, sorting out thoughts and concerns about my life and its future.

At some point I should stop this dilly-dally of my mathematical/academic goals and set things right: hash out a Prelim Exam list of topics, register for that third Ganelon drumming course for the Fall Term, keep my advisor up to date with my progress (or lack thereof), and begin a discussion of a Student Geometry/Analysis Problem group ..

which is a fine idea but I cannot claim credit for it: it was previous suggested by my friends and colleagues Kevin W. and Ben S., where students of analytical or geometric mind share and solve small mathematical research problems ..

Anyways, enough rambling. Work beckons.

No comments: