Thursday, July 26, 2007

technical difficulties and detours.

occasionally someone asks me if i can read and write in chinese, and then i would respond with, "no, sorry: i happen to be illiterate."

this makes for very strange timing, to anyone who hears no more than that one sentence. it startles them to no end, and i think it's because they thought i meant english.

today, however, i felt computer-illiterate.



despite google-searching various keywords and combinations, i tried unsuccessfully to install several LaTeX packages onto my old laptop arielle, who is running Ubuntu Linux these days.

no luck.

so much for finishing the second section [1] of the first draft of that research article, today. i was planning to do my typing in the office; because it's not as comfortable as the apartment, there was the slim chance that i could be more productive.

well, that's a lesson for another day.



on the other hand, i spent the day reminding myself of the mathematical arguments that i would have needed to write in LaTeX.

fortune of fate, that: i'd have typed and saved and deleted and re-typed, maybe even opened up a new document in frustration and start from scratch. that is one fault of mine: it's too easy for me to "re-invent the wheel" and not make use of things that i or smarter people have thought about and polished already.

it's also painfully comforting: i think my younger self was smarter than me, my current self.


[1] don't let that impress you. i haven't written much of the first section yet, because i don't quite know how to introduce the rest of the paper (which isn't written yet, either). likely i'll write it last.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LaTeX installation under Debian and Ubuntu GNU/Linux systems has always been amazingly easy -- you just install every package whose name starts with 'texlive' [1], and everything just works. I heard that with certain distros for MS Windows these things are much trickier.

[1] there actually are two comprehensive distros of LaTeX, tetex and texlive. The latter is a recent addition, the former I used back in 1998.

janus said...

thanks. i'll try that.

apparently i realised my error: i was using a debian package on my ubuntu system.