Thursday, October 20, 2005

the After-Math of my Talk.

Pardon the pun, of course.

So today it was my turn to talk at AnSS (Analysis Study Seminar, where we talk about research that we read, not what we've done) and it went tolerably.

The strange thing was that I wasn't too nervous: having become a regular fixture to that seminar, I did understand that I was amongst friends and nobody was out to get me .. at least then and there. Let me not vouch for the rest of time and space. q:

Instead, I think I was too cavalier, which led me into trouble. Once I nearly gave an incorrect proof, and other times I omitted key details of some nontrivial depth. It was personally embarrassing, but if others picked up on that, they pretended not to notice.

Oh well. It's over .. at last. Now I can get back to work writing up my results, and looking up this smoothness extension stuff that my advisor recommended .. and there is always the books to read for my December prelim, and more pending, the typed-up list of topics!

Who'd have thought that I'd be so happy to return to the daily grind? q:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never knew that ``math'' in ``aftermath'' originally meant a mowing of a grass or hay crop. The word makes some sense now...

You may learn another five hundred [English words] and yet another five thousand and yet another fifty thousand and still you may come across a further fifty thousand you have never heard before, and nobody else either.
(G. Mikes)

janus said...

Huh. You're right. Now I feel silly that I never thought about it before.

Speaking of words and mathematics, I remember reading a book which discussed the nature of millenia, and one sentence read something like:

Preparations were underway for the Millenium celebration of 2000, until a mathematical killjoy reminded everyone that there was no year 0 ..

So from now until the next substantial impression, I will always imagine 'killjoys' to be mathematicians. q: